Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Crock Pot French Onion Soup




I hate cold weather. Living in Chicago in the winter can be brutal. (Most of the time, anyway) I like the first snowfall of the season and that's it. The cold winters have made soup very popular in my house. I especially love making soup in the crock pot. Today's recipe I found on Pinterest. French Onion Soup is one of my favorites. The ooey gooey cheese and the nice crusty pieces of french bread is what really makes it! I see myself making this soup a lot this winter!

Crock Pot French Onion Soup
Adapted Slightly from Betty Crocker
8 servings
WW PP=5
Cal 208, Fat 5.5g, Carbs 30.6g, Fiber 2g, Protein 9.8g

Ingredients
3 large yellow onions, sliced (3 cups)
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) ready-to-serve beef broth
French bread, sliced 1 inch thick                                          
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I used reduced fat)
2-3 tablespoons grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
                                    
In a lined slow cooker, mix onions and butter.
Cover and cook on high heat setting 30 to 35 minutes or until onions begin to slightly brown around edges.
Mix together flour, worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Stir flour mixture and broth into onions. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 9 hours (or high heat setting 3 to 4 hours) or until onions are very tender.
Ladel soup into oven proof bowls. Place 1 slice of bread on top of each bowl of soup. Top with 1/8 cup of mozzarella and a sprinkle of parmesan. Broil on high 2-3 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. This is going on the menu next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made me miss my brother. He used to always make french onion soup to die for, and I haven't seen him in forever it seems. Let alone have french onion soup. Will have to call him and see what he is up to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yowser!..this looks amazing...I love French Onion soup and I do love cooking in my crock pot.
    This is a must try,thanks for sharing #23 @ Foodie Friday.

    #21
    Jo @ LoblollyLane

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite soups and I love the idea of making it in a crockpot. Pinning this too. Love your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUmmmmmmmmmm.I really need to use my crock pot more often. thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop.xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bridget,
    We just love Onion Soup and to have it in the Crock Pot is a plus, this is a great recipe! Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave your comments below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...