Sunday, December 30, 2012

Copycat Cincinnati Skyline Chili





One of the reasons why I love Chili so much is that you can always find a new variation of it. Last winter I found a copycat skyline Chili recipe that I thought was incredible so that is what was on the menu for tonight's dinner. I love the fact that this Chili is served over spaghetti. It was a delicious and hearty meal and a nice change from your traditional Chili.

Copycat Cincinnati Skyline Chili
Adapted from Food.Com

Ingredients
1 lb Lean ground sirloin
1/2 yellow onion, chopped (you can use more or less depending on how much onion you like)
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
2 cups beef stock ( you can always had more or less depending on how you like the consistency of your chili)
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon ( i used 1/4 tsp)
1/4 teaspoon allspice (I literally used a pinch)
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic (I used crushed)

Brown ground sirloin and onion in pan. Drain grease and then add two cups beef stock. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 2 hours. At this point, I add the chili to my crock pot and then let it simmer on low for 4-6 hours stirring occasionally. Serve over hot spaghetti noodles and then top with finely shredded cheddar cheese. (onion, beans and sour cream are optional)
Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. I haven't had this in years! I may need to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely one of my favorites!

      Delete
  2. Looks yummy, (like all of your recipes do!) and will have to give it a try. I know my husband would love it.

    Kerrie
    www.familyfoodandtravel.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love some Skyline Chili! I lived in Columbus, OH for 8 years.
    I did find a Crock Pot recipe a month or so ago and it was incredibly close to Skyline's.
    I may have to try this one as well! :)
    Thank you for linking up to Marvelous Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cocoa powder in it! I simply can't resist any kind of chili :)
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza - I hope to see you there again next week with more deliciousness :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a life-long Cincinnatian, I must say this looks great, but there's one thing wrong. Traditional Cincinnati chili is never browned in a skillet. The meat is always literally boiled in the cooking liquid, giving it a very loose texture. Otherwise, the recipe looks right. Sound great otherwise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi thank you so much for linking up with Weekly Goals. I was looking for yours but couldn't find them. If you do post them, please let me know. I would love to read them. Also love your blog. The food looks amazing. I am going to try that broccoli and cheese. Yum! I am adding you to my sidebar so I can read all your posts. Thanks again. Lenetta

    ReplyDelete
  8. And you would certainly never drain the grease. I like my 3-way WET.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your first step is to brown the beef and onion but it doesn't say how much onion in the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I chopped up half a yellow onion. I'll update that right now.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave your comments below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...